In this blog, i would share FOSS related things that i come across in my daily life.

Sunday 3 June, 2007

Why i started liking open source?

I bought a computer 3 years ago having pirated Windows XP.
I had a tendency to change fonts, themes, look and feel of my operating system.
Also i loved trying out new softwares in the market. My friends used to come to me for software advice as well as advice on how to crack it (illegally registering proprietary software). At that time i didn't realize that i was committing a crime by using pirated OS and third party software.

3 months ago i realized that i was meant for open source technologies. Reasons being:
1) i wanted to have a look at source code, primarily to crack it i.e. i needed freedom
2) i wanted to modify the software according to my needs. i am basically a windows power user who does not like mouse, as you need to switch to keyboard to perform same tasks quickly
3) i wanted to customize the look and feel of my system by tweaking it to a great extent.

Now i have the freedom to do everything i wanted with the help of GNU/Linux system.

No comments: