In this blog, i would share FOSS related things that i come across in my daily life.

Saturday 9 May, 2009

Increasing monitor resolution to 1024x768 in Zenwalk 6

after installing fresh zenwalk 6, my monitor resolution was set to 800x600.
mine is a samtron 15" (56v) monitor

my monitor supports 800x600 @ 75 hertz and 1024x768 @ 60 hertz

using proper gui method of changing resolution, i didn't have any success, i was choosing the option, but relevant files were not getting changed.

i wasted nearly a week trying to find solution in forums, as many were facing same issue.

it was reported that the problem occurred due to a bug in brand new xfce 4.6
anyways, i just wanted a workaround, which was difficult to find.

a developer on zenwalk irc channel told that a minor update has been pushed by xfce and that might solve my issue. i updated my xfce packages using netpkg (30mb).

luckily my problem got solved after a restart. now the system is capable of holding the monitor resolution changes applied by me.

No comments: