In this blog, i would share FOSS related things that i come across in my daily life.

Tuesday 5 May, 2009

My First Experience With Zenwalk 6

i wanted to lay my hands on it because my current version was 4.8 and i seldom used it.
that was because of some flaky performance and serious bug with adobe flash 10 with led to abrupt system restart.
i hate it when my system restarts without my performance.

other than this, it had many latest packages like pidgin, transmission were not yet present in ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron repositories.

i keep looking for minimal things so that things are responsive enough on my p4 pc.
i expected xfce not to have lag like gnome has.

i can live without gnome, but as of now openoffice is a must for me.
zenwalk gave me exact thing, a stripped down version of latest openoffice.org 3.0

i ran into 2 major problems:
configuring pppoe broadband (zenwalk doesnt have pppoeconf)
changing monitor resolution to 1024x786

nearly after a week of hunting, i was able to solve both problems in a single day.
apprantly pppoe-setup is not as good as pppoeconf, and pppoe-start can start the internet connection properly only if the network interface card is inactive (ifconfig eth0 down).

logically this means that the dns binding would happen only when the lan card eth0 is able to accept dynamically assigned dns servers.

root cause behind monitor resolution problem was a bug in latest xfce4.6
i desperately tried to look for a workaround, but failed.
a user on zenwalk irc guided me through lot of steps, but in the end updating xfce and a restart did the trick.

long live zenwalk, its fast, rapidly updated, and it doesnt have 6 month release schedule.

No comments: